For some, the first year of marriage …
… throws them for a loop. I can help.
"My engagement was a piece of cake compared to my first year of marriage."
“Figuring out how to be a wife, missing the freedom of my single life, new conflicts with my family and husband. It was too much to sort through on my own, and I’m so glad I reached out to Allison.
“She helped me see that everything — even though it was difficult and sometimes really painful — was normal and natural on the road to getting used to my new life and identity. She may have even saved me from running out on my marriage.”
Home From The Honeymoon
- In my experience, many newlyweds feel conflicted about coming home from their honeymoons.
- On the one hand, they’re eager and excited to get home and settle into married life.
- On the other, after being the bride and groom, up on a pedestal and at the center of attention for so many months, it can feel anticlimactic to unpack your bags, watch your tans fade, and get back to the humdrum of everyday life.
- Some newlyweds even go through wedding withdrawal; postwedding life can seem flat, dull and empty.
- After months of filling every spare second stressing about the wedding, checking off the to-do list, or going to parties thrown in your honor, many newlyweds find themselves staring at each other, thinking, “OK, now what do we do?”
Acclimatizing To Married Life
- Obviously, neither of you is single anymore.
- Nor, however, are you completely at home in your new roles and identies of “husband” and “wife.”
- In fact, you’re complete beginners. You’re on the bunny slope of marriage, and it takes a year to 18 months (or sometimes even longer) of being married, of being a wife, before you find your natural rhythm.
- The key is to allow yourself to learn.
Adjusting To Marriage Can Be Overwhelming
- The last 1/3 of my book is about the challenges of making this transition — “The New You: Life as a Wife” — so I’ve been thinking about and helping newlyweds adjust for more than 10 years.
- I’m also a Gottman Marriage Educator, so I can teach you how to start your marriage off on a strong, happy and healthy foundation.
- And I can help you to. Let’s connect soon over video.
As seen on
Helping brides & grooms feel happier, calmer and better prepared for marriage since 2002.